- To increase awareness of the indigenous flora of Afghanistan among individuals or institutions who may be directly or indirectly concerned, and in particular those in Afghanistan.
- To encourage plant collection and create a herbarium.
- To establish a service for the identification of indigenous plants.
- To promote the study of the flora of Afghanistan as well as the dissemination and utilisation of this information.
- To support and develop programmes of Afghan plant conservation: in situ and ex situ.
- To favour the sovereign rights of Afghanistan over its biological resources according to the Convention 1992 of Biological diversity, while permitting access by international researchers to these resources.
- To stimulate collaboration with foreign botanical institutions in order to share expertise in the identification and utilisation of the plants collected, as well as to facilitate the training of Afghan researchers.